Perhaps you’ve heard about the multiple fairs that the Career Centre hosts each year; Get Experience Fair, Graduate and Professional Schools Fair, and the Get Hired! Fair. ‘What’s the point of attending?’ you might be asking yourself. The academic year can be super busy, trust me, I know! I’m here to share a secret – there’s a lot that you can take away from the fairs, no matter what year or program you’re in. Whether you’re just dropping by to browse or spend a little extra time, here are some reasons why you should be in attendance:
- Curiosity can get you to so many places. You might discover something new and exciting! Feel free to chat with people and ask a lot of questions. You never know where it might lead you.
Gain Professional Skills
- You may not consciously think about your posture, tone of voice, or handshake but being at the fair is an opportunity to meet people and strengthen these skills. You don’t necessarily have to wait for a networking session to practice these skills!
- Professionals whom you read about online or have to wait for hours before you can talk to on the phone are actually giving you the opportunity to meet them in person. They come seeking you so use this to your advantage!
Institution/ Company Culture
- Whether you are talking to a representative from a company or an institute, you get a sense of what they have to offer and whether it is a good fit for you. It is a good chance to find out whether their values align with yours.
- Hopefully this isn’t the main incentive of attending, but how could you resist freebies?! I know I could always use a few extra pens and highlighters. Show up to see what surprises are in store for you!
- Our friendly Career Centre staff will be rocking their lime green Jimmi t-shirts. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have and we will be more than happy to help. We don’t bite, I promise.
It’d be a good idea to take some time to prepare before any of the fairs. The Career Centre website will be updated regularly so check out which organizations are coming and which ones interest you. Follow this link to other Career Fair tips on what to keep in mind.
Hope to see you at our Get Experience Fair coming up on September 23rd 10am-2pm at the RAWC.
-Zamera Kabir and Pamela Adjei, Career Assistants